Suffering an injury caused by negligence or recklessness is a physically and emotionally overwhelming ordeal. Not only do you have to make the best possible recovery from injury by missing weeks or months of work, but you may also have to fight the at-fault party in court for their reluctance to cover your medical expenses.
Fortunately, accidents victims do not have to navigate the complex legal process alone. Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney is one of the most important steps toward recovering financial compensation to pay for medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering.
When you schedule a consultation – which are usually free for personal injury matters – with a potential lawyer, please bring any documentation and evidence related to your case, such as the police report from the accident, photos and video footage from the accident scene, and medical records showing the seriousness of your injury. You must also have several questions prepared to ask your potential lawyer to ensure he/she is the right person for your case.
The following are five questions to ask a personal injury lawyer during a consultation:
- How many years have you been practicing personal injury law? You need a lawyer who has extensive experience handling personal injury cases, especially if your case is quite complex. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the intricacies of the legal process, while protecting your rights and best interests during settlement negotiations or at trial.
- Have you handled a case similar to mine? While personal injury attorneys handle a wide range of injury cases, some may have worked on more cases like yours in the past and helped those clients obtain successful results, such as awards or settlements. Ask the potential lawyer for outcomes in cases like yours.
- What are my chances of success in my case? The potential attorney can provide an assessment of your case. He/she may listen to your story, review the facts and evidence, and figure out how much your case is worth and if you can obtain a successful outcome.
- How many cases have you taken to trial? Not only must your attorney have the skill to settle your case out of court, but he/she must also be able to take your case to trial, if necessary, and win. You need a lawyer who has a thorough understanding of the local courts.
- What are your legal fees? Most personal injury lawyers work on a “contingency fee” basis, which means you don’t have to pay any upfront or hourly fees until your case has been resolved. Your attorney will be paid a certain percentage of your recovered award or settlement. Any fees or costs advanced by your attorney during your case may also be recovered at the time of your settlement.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident caused by a negligent party in Ohio or Pennsylvania, our Youngstown personal injury lawyer at Hartwig Law LLC has recovered millions of dollars on behalf of our clients. Attorney Edward J. Hartwig has 25 years of trial-tested experience handling commercial vehicle accidents, trucking accidents, medical malpractice, nursing home and assisted living neglect, and wrongful death cases.
For more information about our legal services, contact us today at (330) 899-4446 and schedule a free consultation.